Government of Trinidad and

Trade Union Division FAQs

How do you register a trade union at the Trade Union Division?
A Trade Union/ Association can be registered in accordance with Sections 10 and 18 of the Act, which in summary state that: 

  • any seven (7) or more members of a trade union may apply to register a trade union/ association by completing Form A. Form A is located on our Dowloadable Forms page.

  • Submitting the application together with 2 copies of their rules, a statement of their asset and liabilities, as well as a listing of the executive members, with their positions, address, telephone and e-mail contact details.

  • Once the application is approved a payment of $5.00 must be made at any revenue office.

How is a trade union decertified?
There are several ways in which a union can be de-certified. For instance: 

  • In accordance with Section 12 a request can be made by the trade union for withdrawal or cancellation. This can be done on Form H. Form H is located on our Dowloadable Forms page. 

  • A union’s registration can also be cancelled for breach of or non- compliance with the Act. 

  • A trade union can apply for dissolution in accordance with Section 21 by submitting 2 copies of Form Q to the Registrar. Form Q is located on our Dowloadable Forms page.

How many trade unions are there in Trinidad and Tobago? 
There are currently eighty-six (86) trade unions as at January 2018. However, this number is constantly changing as a result of de-certification or new registrations. 

What are the other services of the Trade Union Division? 

  • Provision of Information to other Departments and Ministries 
  • Provision of Information under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) 

  • General assistance to members of the public as it relates to Trade Unions 

To access the full Frequently Asked Questions on Trade Union, please click the following:

FAQ Option 2