Registration, Recognition and Certification Board
The Registration, Recognition and Certification Board (RRCB) is an institution established under Part II, Section 21 (1) of the Industrial Relations Act, Chapter 88:01 (IRA) to deal exclusively with the recognition of a trade union by an employer and matters incidental hereto.
The purpose of the Industrial Relations Act is “to make better provision for the stabilization, improvement and promotion of industrial relations” throughout the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago.
The Board consists of a Chairman and eight (8) other Members. The Chairman is a fit and proper person selected by the President of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago after consultation with the organizations which in his opinion are “most representative of workers and employers” and is appointed by the Minister. The other Members, also appointed by the Minister are as follows:
- Three (3) Members nominated by the organizations which in the opinion of the Minister are most representative of workers;
- Three (3) Members nominated by the organizations which in the opinion of the Minister is most representative of employers;
- Two (2) Members jointly nominated by the organizations referred to above.
For each member other than the Chairman, there is an alternate member selected in the same manner as the related substantive member.
The duties of the Board are as set out in Section 23 (1) of the Act and include:
- The determination of all applications, petitions and matters concerning certification of recognition under Part III including the taking of preferential ballots under section 34 (2);
- The certification of recognized majority unions;
- The recording of the certification of recognized majority unions in a book to be kept specifically for the purpose;
- The making of agency shop orders under Part VI and the conduct of ballots and proceedings in connection therewith;
- The cancellation of certification of recognition of trade unions; and
- Such matters as are referred or assigned to it by the Minister or under this or any written law.
- 3rd Floor, New Industrial Court Building
#7 St. Vincent Street,
Port of Spain
Appointment of the Registration Recognition and Certification Board (RRCB)
Front Row: Minister of Labour and Small Enterprise Development, Senator the Honourable Jennifer Baptiste-Primus (centre) is joined by the newly installed Members of the Registration Recognition and Certification Board; from left: Ms. Anushka Alcazar, Ms. Natalie Willis (Permanent Secretary (Ag.), Ministry of Labour and Small Enterprise Development); Mr. Gregory Baker (Chairman), Ms. Giselle Estrada
Back Row (from left): Messrs. Ian Daniel, Keston Nancoo, Darren Samuel, Gregory Marchan, Charles Martin de Gannes, Edward W. Duggins, Christopher Streete, Ian Ashman, Bryan St. Louis, Carl Seymour